What caught my attention in week twenty-nine, 2023
In continuation to week twenty-eight, here are a few thoughts and things that caught my attention in week twenty-nine, 2023:
- 🚴 This week I cycled 86 km and walked 49 km, including 24 km with the dog.
- 🗿 It's been a rather quiet week in terms of new apps and my own Mastodon usage. But I spent quite a bit of time playing with the Dataview plugin and the Templater plugin for Obsidian. They really take Obsidian to a whole new level. Even ChatGPT was finally a real help to me as it could write me Java Script functions for Templater. In addition, I was happy to see the new version of Actions for Obsidian.
- 🔗 Finally joined the The Unofficial weblog.lol Webring.
- ❤️ The LOL directory went online.
- 🍞 For over half a year, I have been maintaining a sourdough starter, and my wife and I bake our own bread with it, more or less regularly. As a result, I took a look at Join the Rise – Bread Baking beta. However, I didn't want to do rocket science and also got overwhelmed by all the English terms and strange units. So, for now, I'll stick with the bread baking book we own.
- ✅ Last week I've mentioned Habit Tracker: Peat and Chronicling - the latter I still use on a daily. If you're not interested in yet another app subscriptionTM and Streaks is not your taste, HabitBoard - simple and flexible habit tracker for iOS, iPadOS, and watchOS might be an alternative: It supports unlimited habits, keeps historic data, has customizable colors, widgets, and meaningful stats.
- 🖥️ Speaking of alternatives. In addition to MacTracker there is a new website: AppleDB - A database of Apple software and devices.
- 🦁 Interesting list of Safari browser extensions: Mac Power Users #701: The Safari Extension Roundup. I did not know that there was an official Internet Archive Wayback Machine browser extension. I also bookmarked Tabs to Links - Make a list of links from your open tabs in Safari, instantly. That might come in handy someday.
- 🧱There are a lot of LEGO Building Instructions now on archive.org. So far I always consulted Brickset.
- 🥇 Waxy.org mentioned the Tiny Awards and among those entries and some other sources I poked around on
- 📖 The SummerFest 2023 - The Festival Of Artisanal Software - is currently running. So this might be a good opportunity to buy some great Mac apps at a discount. I went with a new Take Control Book.
- 🟨 There was another Playdate Catalog drop and I bought Gun Trails. It looks amazing but I haven't the faintest idea how to survive this game for more than three seconds. It seems completely impossible to me. I don't think you can really avoid all the bombardment. Maybe I'll still get the hang of it, otherwise I'd rather have bought an iced coffee for the money.
- 🔪 Victorinox released their 2023 damast collectors knife: Ranger 55 Mic Damast Limited Edition 2023.
- 🎙Podcasts this week
- Accidental Tech Podcast: 544: Valid in a Marco Way
- Hemispheric Views One Prime Plus: 034: Feld Foot—I Mean, Foto!
- Hemispheric Views: 088: I Don’t Like The Residue!
- Hemispheric Views: 089: Conceived in an IKEA Bed!